Sunday, 20 December 2009

Editing and final thoughts...


After completing the filming it left us with two weeks to complete the edit. As Katy owned a mac book with Final Cut Express on it we decided to use that rather than one of the macs at uni. This was easier for us as it meant we could edit at home. Katy and I were the main editors for our film and Lyndon and Kay came to a couple of the meetings to help. I really enjoyed the editing process and I'm keen to get more involved in the post production side of things in the future. After uploading all our footage we first went through it and took out all the good footage and then cut all the scenes together for our rough edit. This was a long process but by the time we had done this we were pleased to see that our film was about the right length and only needed shortening a little more to tighten it up. It was then a case of putting in some transitions to make the scenes flow together more smoothly, adding music and credits etc. Katy and I luckily have a joint friend who does commercial music so he was able to help us with out and made a track. We wanted something quite melancholy that would be appropriate to put on in the background. He achieved this but when we put it against the film it didn't seem to work, it was slightly too sad for our film. We got him to take out the electric guitar melody and we just used the acoustic version, which I think worked a lot better. We still needed further music, which we managed to find on KPM music. This is an online site where you can download tracks from a wide range of music. We spent a long time trying to find the right music so that it fitted the characters mood. We also then had to try and make it flow with the next song so it took a while but I am pleased with what we managed to find and I feel it has really uplifted our film.

If I look at this film as a learning experience for the next film then I feel it has been useful because I’ve learnt quite a lot. I’ve learnt what is relevant to put into a screenplay and what you’re not meant to. I know now how to write a shot list to make it easier come shooting weekend. I’ve also leant a little on how to use the Z1 cameras and Final Cut. I’m also glad we got put into groups for our first film because although I originally wanted to choose who I was going to work with, this way I have made some new friends and it’s tested how well I can work with a group.
As a screenplay on paper, I wouldn’t have ever picked it to make if I had a choice in the matter. However, it is almost quite good that I had no passion for the script as it enabled me to keep a level head in the whole process and possibly learn more. It was interesting to see how the other groups in the class interpreted the screenplay and to see what they did with theirs.

0 comments:

Post a Comment